Friday, January 30, 2015

How should I pray? (Chandler)


Some Christian guys know how to pray, others think that their praying is just good enough and some don't pray at all. When we read our Bible, God is speaking to us, when we pray we are speaking to God.

Now, for some guys it just seems like you're talking to a wall, I've been there. I sometimes feel discouraged when I am sitting around the table and I pray a great prayer thinking that it was really good. Then I hear my older sister and it seems like she has this awesome, intimate, relationship with God and nothing seems to stand in her way, I think that my prayer was absolutely pathetic compared to hers. But wait a minute, I shouldn't be thinking that way! I prayed so that I can talk with God, not so that I can impress people with my words! Too many times I have compared my prayers to other people's when that prayer is not directed to them but to God.

Prayer seems to be a very small thing to many but the fact is that prayer is the way we connect with God. We need to pray on a regular basis, every morning and night. (I will admit that I am not the best at praying at night but I am trying to remember). When we pray we need to remember that we are entering into the presence of God and we need to be reverent and without distractions.

The best way to pray is to model the Lord's prayer found in Matthew 6:8-13.

Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come, Your will be done, 
On earth as it is in heaven.
(Start be praising God and thanking him).
Give us this day our daily bread.
(Give him your requests)
Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
(Repent and ask for forgiveness)
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
(Keep us from sin)
For Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever.
(Praising him again)
Amen

When we pray we should include all of those vital parts. If it seems like you are talking to a wall, just remember that you're not. God hears you and cares about whatever you bring to him. The more you pray, the more real it will feel. You can count on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment