Monday, January 12, 2015

What is A Gentleman, (And What Does it Take To Be One)?


"What is a gentleman," you may ask? I found a quote that about sums it up perfectly:
"A gentleman will open doors, pull out chairs, and carry bags not because she's helpless or unable, but because he wants to show her that she is valuable and worthy of respect." 
I have noticed that many young men treat older women, younger women, mothers, and sisters the same way that they would treat a boy their age. Women need to be treated with more respect than men because they are more...well...sensitive. 

My dad always says, "Think of a woman like a vase, and a man as a Tupperware bowl. Although the vase looks prettier than the Tupperware, what would happen to both if I dropped them?" It puts woman's feelings into perspective for me. We should always be making a conscious effort to treat women with the utmost courtesy a lady deserves. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

A Gentleman:

1. Opens Doors - The top complaint of women towards men is that some men will not open doors. Whether it be a car door, a restaurant door, or anything that you can open or walk through,  men have either been too oblivious or rude to do women that favor.
2. Allows The Lady To Go First - If you are getting in a line and have any girl, young or old go right behind you as you enter the line you could say, "You can go ahead of me if you would like." Saying this makes you seem very polite. 
3. Offers A Coat To A Lady When It Is Cold - Many times my sister has forgotten her coat so I offer her mine and she is very appreciative when I give it to her.
4. Avoids Vulgar Behavior - This includes burping and reciting crude jokes.
5. Allows Her To Order First In A Restaurant - Regardless if it is your mother, sister, grandma, or friend, always direct the waiter/waitress to the girl first.
6. If A Woman Is The Cook, Step In And Do The Dishes - Always do the dishes and cleanup for your mother or sister since they are the ones who cooked the meal you just enjoyed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A Few Tips:

1. I would encourage you to always be conscious around the house and practice good manners on your mom and sisters. If you do these things, your sisters and mom and other people that you meet will notice and thank you.   

Some women of this day and age don't want your help and say, "I can open a door myself," or "I can get it." (I've got that before). If you get this response, don't take it too personally. Just smile and say, "Okay, have a nice day!"

My only precaution is that you be careful when acting as a gentleman around girls your age and younger. While opening a door is the right thing to do, pulling out a chair might be taking it a little too far. The goal is to be sure you're not overly charming.

Although some girls like to play some sports like volleyball or Frisbee, keep in mind that they still want to be treated like a lady!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Although I'm not a guy, I would say you're right on. All girls/women want to be treated with respect and a lot of the men these days don't do half of the tips you gave up there. However, it is mostly girls fault for not allowing men to men.

    ReplyDelete